There are many reasons for international students to take up higher studies. With famous universities focusing on skill development, picturesque locations, and top recruiting companies, Belgium is listed among the top destinations for students to pursue overseas education. Moreover, with more than 11 million people, including those who hail from other countries, the European nation has become a global hotspot for experiencing a rich blend of cultures. The country is classified into two distinct areas: Flanders and Wallonia. The inhabitants of Flanders, Flemish, speak Dutch while a citizen of Wallonia is majorly French-speaking. Several universities in Belgium have English as the medium of instruction, but the primary language is Dutch or French. Let’s look at some of the top universities in Belgium that can be considered!
Why Study in Belgium?
Belgium is one of the most beautiful and multicultural European nations in the world. The country provides quality education, low tuition fees, an opportunity to study at some of the best universities in Europe, and a chance to experience a global culture and the dynamic local culture of Brussels. Below are some reasons why you should consider Belgium and study at the top universities in Belgium for higher education: –
- Belgium offers a unique lifestyle and experience for international students. The top universities in Belgium have the best infrastructure, international teaching staff, and facilities. The universities also offer a plethora of programs at affordable prices.
- In terms of living and studying abroad, Belgium is also one of the cheapest countries. The country also provides different types of accommodation options, affordable public transportation, and an exceptional quality of life. Belgium is also ranks among the safest Nordic countries for international students, especially female students.
- Several Universities in Belgium offer scholarships and financial aid to encourage students and professionals to pursue higher studies.
- So, the country offers academic courses and programs in four languages: English, French, German, and Dutch.
- Belgium’s prime location is another advantage for the students to study in Belgium. It is close to beautiful countries like Germany, France, Netherlands, Sweden & Austria.
- Brussels, the capital of Belgium, is featured in the best student cities list of QS 2019 for providing an unforgettable and unique student life experience.
- The main reason to consider Belgium is the opportunity to enter the Belgian workforce after completing your education in the country. The universities in the country enhance students to work in the country to encourage their skills and work experience.
Top Universities in Belgium
Catholic University of Leuven
The Catholic University of Leuven, popularly called KU Leuven, is highest-rank among the top universities in Belgium. This University was establish in 1425 and is the largest University in Belgium. With around 57,000 students, the University is 45th rank by the times ranking in global universities. The University has 14 faculties categorized into three groups: Humanities and Social Science, Science, Engineering, and Technology (SET), and Biomedical Science. It provides quality education in almost every field, and the University is the pioneer in research in diverse areas. Also, globally recognized educational infrastructure, the institution has a medical, library, housing, and student services.
Ghent University is one of the prestigious educational institutes ranks 103rd in the QS University Rankings for the year 2021. The University was establish in 1817, and it currently houses 41,000 students, out of which more than 4,150 enrollees are international students. Ghent is consider one of the largest institutions in Flanders! However, the medium of instruction at the University is primarily Dutch. Some of the courses are also taught in English. The University considers itself a pluralist university and welcomes students from all religions and races and allows them to participate in the Erasmus exchange program. So, from Engineering and Pharmaceutical branches to Law and Social Sciences, the 11 faculties at the university offer bachelor’s, master’s, and exchange programs in diverse subjects.
University Catholique of Louvain
University Catholique of Louvain is a comprehensive university establish in 1425. It has 14 faculties and 23 doctoral schools that provide 43 bachelor’s and 187 master’s programs. Out of all courses, 26 programs are taught in English. The university campus is located in Wallonia, the most economically active area of the country. One-fifth of the 30,000 students come from 120 different countries, making the University a culturally dynamic institution. By collaborating with other educational institutes worldwide, UCL inculcates creative thinking in its students through various programs and learning methods and prepares them for future careers.
Being one of the top universities in Belgium, the University has 23 research institutes and 39 technology platforms, besides two hospitals and three science parks. One-third of the professors at the University are women at the center of encouraging cross-disciplinary research, the tradition started by the professors like Georges Lemaitre and Christian de Duve.
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
The University is located in Brussels, the heart of Belgium; VUB has an unmatched reputation in research in diverse disciplines. VUB was establish in 1970 and is placed between 201-204th rank in QS World University Rankings 2021. Around 15 800 students are enroll in the University, out of which 21.5% belong to different countries, thus making it one of the biggest centers of knowledge in Europe! In addition to its renowned bachelor’s programs in Business Economics and Social Science, the University also provides a diverse range of courses at the postgraduate level, including Engineering, Business, Science, and Communication.
Université Libre de Bruxelles
The University was establish in 1834, and it is one of the oldest and top universities in Belgium. The Universite Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) is a public-funded university with campuses in the Belgian and European capital. In 2019, the number of students studying at the University was 30,000, making it a hotspot for cultural exchange and the flow of discourse. The University offers about 40 undergraduate programs and about 250 graduate courses in diverse disciplines. The mode of instruction at the University is primarily French. However, some of the master’s level courses are teach in English also. Enjoying the close links with the leaders in the industry and the top recruiters, the University also boasts of its high placement rates.
So, the top universities in Belgium provide a blend of research-backed education and modern technological infrastructure. That will help you prepare for the competitive job market and enhance your knowledge base. I hope this article will be helpful to many students who are planning to study aboard. So, if you want any help, then let us know.